If you’re fed up with your dog getting more haircuts than you do. You may be tempted to give your dog an at-home trim.
While professional groomers have many hours of experience, it is possible to do an acceptable job at home with a bit of practice and the right equipment.
Choosing the best dog clippers is probably the most important thing to get right. The better the clipper, the easier and faster you can get your dog looking neat and tidy. Which makes it a less stressful experience for both you and your dog.
So, what do you need to know before you decide to re-style your dog?
What types of dog need clipping
Not all dogs need a haircut. In fact, clipping or shaving a dog that doesn’t need it can permanently damage their coat and worse still affect their ability to keep both warm and cool.
Dog coats fall into two major categories;
- Undetermined Length (UDL) or hair
- Predetermined Length (PDL) or fur
Dogs that fall into the first category have coats that are similar to hair, in that it continues to grow until it is cut, think Yorkshire Terriers, Shih Tzus and Poodles. Without a regular trim these types of dogs would struggle and end up with excessively long hair that becomes dirty and matted.
On the other hand, dogs with fur have coats that grow to a certain length and then stop, think Labradors, Huskies and German Shepherds. Dogs with fur, while needing regular brushing should not be clipped except for medical reasons or to remove mats.
What to look for in the best dog clippers
Electric clippers are available in both corded and cordless versions. Many come with accessories that not only help to customise the clipper to suit your dog’s coat, like guide combes but also help keep your clipper in good shape like blade oil.
So, what do you need to consider when choosing the best dog clipper?
- Power; The Power of dog clippers is measured in spm or strokes per minute. The higher the spm the more powerful the clipper. Higher speed clippers tend to heat up faster but are better at getting through thick coats.
- Speed; Some clippers have a single speed while others have multiple speed options. Having a choice of speed can make clipping sensitive areas like paws and ears much easier.
- Blade Type; Sharp blades are essential for a good cut. They are most often stainless steel or ceramic, ceramic offer a cooler blade while stainless steel is tough and durable.
- Corded or cordless; Cordless clippers offer a lot of flexibility and eliminate the issue of your dog getting tangled up. Not only that, they also allow you to work around your dog without the length restrictions of a corded clipper. There is trade-off though, cordless clippers tend to be heavier. What’s more, as battery time varies it can mean the clipper gradually loses power the longer you work on your dog.
- Noise level; Quiet running clippers are essential for nervy dogs. In fact, it can make the difference between a successful grooming session or a disaster.
Every clipper comes with a numbered blade, the higher the number the shorter the cut. So, a number 10 blade will cut your dog’s coat down to 1/16″.
If you don’t want such a severe cut, you might want to invest in a snap-on guide comb that attaches to your clipper. Not only do they help provide an even cut but they alter the length of it too.
Guide combs come in a variety of sizes and the size guide is simple, a half- inch guide comb gives you a half-inch cut and so on.
So, here’s our run down of what we think are the best dog clippers out there. But if you want our top pick for a good all-rounder it’s the Andis UltraEdge
- Cool and quiet running.
- Perfect for all coats and breeds.
- Detachable blade design for ease of changing and cleaning.
Andis have been producing quality grooming products for over ninety years and the UltraEdge is no exception. It’s a professional grooming tool with break-resistant housing and an extra-long cord of fourteen feet.
Powerful and versatile this model from Andis has two speeds; 3400 on the low setting and 4400 on the high setting. The ultra-sharp detachable size 10 blade is made from carbon steel and is strong enough to cut through even thick coats with ease.
What’s more the UltraEdge’s smart design helps keep the unit cool without the need for fans and vents which is perfect for preventing it from clogging up with loose hair.
- Long cord
- Sharp blade cuts through dense fur easily
- 2 speeds provide flexibility and control around sensitive areas like face and paws
- A locking switch prevents accidental shut off during grooming
- Gets Hot
- No accessories
- Animal clippers deliver more strokes per minute and a wider blade sweep for faster clipping
- Powerful, heavy-duty universal motor delivers 2 speeds: 3,000 SPM and 4,000 SPM
- Ideal for grooming dogs, cats, horses, and livestock
Oster has a long history in producing quality products. The Turbo A5 is just one of the many clippers that Oster produce and is a heavy-duty model made for both professionals and at-home groomers.
With two speed settings – 3,000 SPM and 4,000 SPM the Turbo A5 enables a perfect cut even around delicate areas like the face and ears. It comes with a detachable size 10 stainless steel blade and includes blade oil, clipper grease, cleaning brush, and replacement carbon brushes making grooming easier, more efficient and hassle-free. Make the right choice and experience the confidence that the Turbo A5 offers both professionals and at-home pet owners.
- Cuts through even matted hair with ease
- Clipper guards not included
- Heavy if using for a long time
- Wahl Professional Animal's Deluxe U-Clip Pet Kit is ideal to clip, trim, and groom fine to medium animal hair and fur for dogs, cats, and other pets
- Ideal for Labradors, Cavaliers, Shih Tzus, Spaniels, Maltese, and other medium-duty pet fur clipping, trimming, and grooming of paws, face, ears, touch-ups, and light-body clipping
- Powerful speeds up to 7,200 strokes per minute make clipping quick and easy; this clipper provides substantial power and speed without producing additional heat or noise
With a long heritage as one of the leaders in professional and home grooming products this Deluxe U-Clip from Wahl is perfect for dogs with fine to medium coats.
With an adjustable blade and speeds up to 7,200 SPM the U-Clip makes trimming fast and easy and is perfect for keeping your dog tidy.
The steel blade can be adapted to three cutting lengths; Number 30, 15 and 10 but the U-clip comes with a wide range of accessories too giving you lots of options for coat length.
- Comes with a 16-piece grooming kit that includes a How-To DVD
- Cuts well
- Heats up quickly
- Blades are adjustable but can’t be changed so look after them well
- 【Low Noise】The pet clipper in low vibration and low noise operation (55-65dB) won't scare your cat, prevent from freaking out or running away when grooming.
- 【Sharp Blade】The dog clipper has a stainless steel and ceramic blade, along with the powerful motor provide an excellent snag free cutting and fast hair removing.
- 【Cordless Use】The dog grooming clipper has a built-in rechargeable 1000mA Li-ion battery for cordless use, avoid cord twining. 90mins quick charging for 120mins Use.
This dog clipper from Nicewell is the first of our cordless choices. With a 90-minute charge offering 120-minute grooming time it lasts long enough for even the biggest dogs.
What’s more, you can use it while it’s charging so you never have to worry about a half-groomed dog.
The clippers have two blades, a fixed one made of stainless steel and a moving ceramic one providing a smooth cutting action.
It comes with guide combs and is simple to use.
- Cordless offers greater freedom of movement when grooming
- Comes with 4 guide combs
- Long battery life
- Stays cool
- Gets jammed easily when cutting long hair
- Fixed blade so proper cleaning it is a must to keep it in good shape
- Cordless design ideal for grooming dogs, cats, horses, and livestock
- Single-speed 2,400 SPM motor efficiently cuts through matted fur
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery operates for up to two hours continuously and can be easily swapped out for extended grooming sessions (additional batteries sold separately)
Our Second choice from Oster offers a powerful cordless option for even the densest of coats. The Oster Volt has a two-hour running time with a single speed motor capable of 2,400 SPM enabling long grooming times whilst staying cool.
Lightweight and ergonomic the sharp steel bade cuts through mats with ease and it can be swapped out if needed.
- Cordless allows for more freedom when grooming
- Long battery life
- Light and well balanced
- Noisier than a lot of other clippers
- Wahl Clipper is the #1 brand of hair clippers and beard trimmers*. Made in the U.S.A
- Great for small-large dog breeds. Best used for Trimming & Touch-ups between professional groomer visits and Fine hair clipping. Does a great job on medium coat and double coated clipping. Can be...
- Quiet clipper for home grooming. Easy to use,
Our second choice from Wahl but this time a cordless model. With a two-hour run time and quick fifteen-minute top-up charge, this clipper is perfect for dogs with fine hair.
The stainless-steel blade is adjustable to 30-15-10 providing flexibility the powerful 6000 SPM makes clipping your dog a breeze.
It comes with seven attachment guide combs, stainless steel scissors, pet styling comb, cleaning brush, blade oil an instruction book and DVD.
- Stays cool
- Long battery life
- Cordless offers greater movement and flexibility when grooming
- The clip-on attachments are flimsy and bend in use
- Vibrates a lot
- The on/off button needs some force to get it to work
Best dog clippers roundup
Our top tip is to choose a clipper that’s designed for your dog’s coat type. If you’re a first-time groomer use a snap-on comb that will help guide you safely over your dog’s body and prevent any accidental nicks. For a good all-roundr we like Andis UltraEdge
Last update on 2018-11-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API