Suppose you’re fed up with your dog getting more haircuts than you do. You may be tempted to give your dog an at-home trim. While professional groomers have many hours of experience, it is possible to do an acceptable job at home with dog hair clippers and a bit of practice.
Choosing the best dog clippers is probably the most important thing to get right. The better the clipper, the easier and faster you can get your dog to look neat and tidy. Which makes it a less stressful experience for both you and your dog.
So, what do you need to know before you decide to restyle your dog?
What types of dog need clipping
Not all dogs need a haircut. In fact, clipping or shaving a dog that doesn’t need it can permanently damage their coat and, worse still, affect their ability to keep both warm and cool.
Dog coats fall into two major categories;
- Undetermined Length (UDL) or hair
- Predetermined Length (PDL) or fur
Dogs that fall into the first category have coats that are similar to hair in that it continues to grow until it is cut, think Yorkshire Terriers, Shih Tzus, and Poodles. Without a regular trim, these dogs would struggle and end up with excessively long dog hair that becomes dirty and matted.
On the other hand, dogs with fur have coats that grow to a certain length and then stop, think Labradors, Huskies, and German Shepherds. While needing regular brushing to keep their thick coats looking good, dogs with fur should not be clipped except for medical reasons or to remove matted fur.
Best dog grooming clippers – how to choose
Electric clippers are available in both corded and cordless versions. Many come with accessories that not only help to customize the clipper to suit your dog’s coat, like guide combes but also help keep your clipper in good shape, like blade oil.
So, what do you need to consider when choosing the best dog clipper?
- Power; The Power of dog clippers is measured in spm or strokes per minute—the higher the spm, the more powerful the clipper. Higher-speed clippers tend to heat up faster but are better at getting through thick coats.
- Speed; Some clippers have a single speed while others have variable speed options. Having a choice of speed can make clipping sensitive areas like paws and ears much easier.
- Blade Type; Sharp blades are essential for a good cut. They are most often stainless steel blades or ceramic. A ceramic blade offers a cooler blade, while stainless steel is tough and durable.
- Corded or cordless; Cordless dog clippers offer a lot of flexibility and eliminate the issue of your dog getting tangled up. Not only that, but they also allow you to work around your dog without the length restrictions of corded clippers. There is a trade-off though, cordless clippers tend to be heavier. What’s more, as battery time varies, it can mean the clipper gradually loses power the longer you work on your dog.
- Noise level; Quiet running clippers with low vibration are essential for nervy dogs. In fact, it can make the difference between a successful grooming session or a disaster.
Every clipper comes with a numbered blade. The higher the number, the shorter the cut. So, a number 10 blade will cut your dog’s coat down to 1/16″. If you don’t want such a severe cut, you might want to invest in a snap-on guide comb that attaches to your clipper. Not only do they help provide an even cut, but they alter the length of it too.
Guide combs come in a variety of sizes, and the size guide is simple, a half-inch guide comb gives you a half-inch cut, and so on.
So, here’s our rundown of what we think are the best dog clippers out there. But if you want our top pick for a good all-rounder, it’s the Andis UltraEdge
- Cool and quiet running , Volts - 120 V
- Perfect for all coats and breeds.
- Detachable blade design for ease of changing and cleaning.
Andis has been producing quality grooming products for over ninety years, and the UltraEdge corded dog clippers are no exception. It’s a professional dog grooming tool with break-resistant housing and an extra-long cord of fourteen feet.
Powerful and versatile, this 2-speed dog clipper from Andis runs at 3400 on the low setting and 4400 on the high setting. The ultra-sharp detachable size 10 blade is made from carbon steel and is strong enough to cut through a thick coat with ease.
What’s more the UltraEdge’s smart design helps keep the unit cool without the need for fans and vents, which is perfect for preventing it from clogging up with loose hair.
- Long cord
- Sharp blade cuts through thick coats easily
- 2 speeds provide flexibility and control around sensitive areas like the face and paws
- A locking switch prevents accidental shut off during grooming
- Gets Hot
- No accessories
- Versatile pet grooming clippers with two-speed switch.Two Speed motor Hi - 2,700 SPM, Lo - 2,100 SPM
- Great for precision and general-purpose grooming
- Detachable Size 10 CryogenX blade included
Oster has a long history of producing quality products. The Turbo A5 set of clippers is just one of the many dog clippers that Oster produces and is a heavy-duty model made for professional dog groomers and at-home groomers. With two-speed settings – 3,000 SPM and 4,000 SPM, the Turbo A5 clippers enable a perfect cut even around delicate areas like the face and ears.
The Turbo A5 comes with a detachable size 10 stainless steel blade and includes blade oil, clipper grease, cleaning brush, and replacement carbon brushes making grooming easier, more efficient hassle-free. Make the right choice and experience the confidence that the Turbo A5 grooming kit offers both professionals and at-home pet owners.
- Cuts through even matted hair and thick coats with ease
- Clipper guards not included
- Heavy if using for a long time
- The U-Clip pet and Dog clipper kit from Wahl Professional Animal is ideal to clip, trim, and groom fine to medium animal hair and fur for dogs, cats, and other pets.
- Ideal for Yorkies, Cavaliers, Shih Tzu's, Spaniels, Maltese, and other medium-duty pet fur clipping, trimming, and grooming of paws, face, ears, touch-ups, and light-body clipping.
- Powerful speeds up to 7, 200 strokes per minute make clipping quick and easy; This clipper provides substantial power and speed without producing additional heat or noise.
With a long heritage as one of the leaders in professional and home grooming products, this Deluxe U-Clip from Wahl is perfect for dogs with fine to medium coats.
With an adjustable blade and speeds up to 7,200 SPM, the U-Clip makes grooming your dog fast and easy and is perfect for keeping your dog tidy.
The steel blade can be adapted to three cutting lengths; Number 30, 15, and 10, but the U-clip comes with a wide range of accessories, too, giving you lots of options for coat length.
- It comes with a 16-piece grooming kit that includes a How-To DVD
- Low noise and vibration
- Cuts well
- Heats up quickly
- Blades are adjustable but can’t be changed, so look after them well
- Built-in Li-ion Batttery. Rechargeable dog trimmer with built-in Li-ion battery is good for exceptional flexibility. It can also be used when charging so you don't have to worry that it will stop...
- Safe and Sharp Blade. Upgrade stainless steel fixed blade and ceramic moving blade can provide excellent cutting performance. The blade sharp enough for a long time using. Detachable blades,easy to...
- Low vibration and ultra quiet design.The noise when working is only about 50 db, to help the pet feel at ease, not afraid cut hair any more.
This dog clipper from ONEISALL is the first of our cordless clippers. With a 150-minute charge offering 150-minute grooming time, it lasts long enough to groom your dog no matter their size. What’s more, you can use it while it’s charging, so you never have to worry about a half-groomed dog.
This set of clippers has two blades, a fixed one made of stainless steel and a moving ceramic one providing a smooth cutting action. It comes with guide combs, is simple to use, and has low noise and vibration.
- Cordless dog clippers offer greater freedom of movement when grooming
- It comes with 4 guide combs
- Long battery life
- Stays cool
- It gets jammed easily if your dog’s hair is long
- Fixed blade so proper cleaning is a must to keep it in good shape
- Cordless design ideal for grooming dogs, cats, horses, and livestock
- Single-speed 2,400 SPM motor efficiently cuts through matted fur
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery operates for up to two hours continuously and can be easily swapped out for extended grooming sessions (additional batteries sold separately)
Our Second choice of dog grooming clippers from Oster offers a powerful cordless option for even the densest of coats. The Oster Volt has a two-hour running time with a single-speed motor capable of 2,400 SPM enabling long grooming times whilst staying cool.
Lightweight and ergonomic, the sharp steel blade is heavy-duty and cuts through a thick coat with ease, and it can be swapped out if needed.
- Cordless allows for more freedom when grooming
- Long battery life
- Light and well balanced
- Noisier than a lot of other clippers
- 2 Hour Run Time - Allows for multiple grooming sessions with your pet before needing a recharge; wireless operation provides exceptional power & doesn't sacrifice on power
- Quick Charging – Equipped with 15 minute quick charge for instant power, 3-5-hours for a full charge; lithium-ion battery holds charge for up to a year without any memory issues. Powerful, quiet...
- Self-Sharpening Precision Blades – Provide snag-free cutting, our high-carbon blades remain sharp for smooth grooming that creates a pleasant experience for your pet; Pro quality at home means less...
Our second choice from Wahl but this time a cordless model. With a two-hour run time and quick fifteen-minute top-up charge, these dog clippers are perfect for dogs with fine hair.
The stainless-steel blade is adjustable to 30-15-10, providing flexibility. The powerful 6000 SPM makes clipping your dog a breeze.
It comes with seven attachment guide combs, stainless steel scissors, pet styling comb, cleaning brush, blade oil, and instruction book and DVD.
- Stays cool
- Long battery life
- Cordless offers greater movement and flexibility when grooming your dog
- The clip-on attachments are flimsy and bend in use
- Vibrates a lot
- The on/off button needs some force to get it to work
Best dog clippers roundup
Our top tip is to choose dog grooming clippers that are designed for your dog’s coat type. If you’re a first-time groomer, use a snap-on comb that will help guide you safely over your dog’s body and prevent any accidental nicks.
Keep grooming sessions short when you’re starting out, and remember that professional dog groomers have had a lot of practice, so if your first attempt isn’t perfect, don’t worry. Your dog won’t!
Our top choice for dog clippers as it’s such a good all-rounder is Andis UltraEdge
Last update on 2021-05-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API