One of the defining features of a Yorkshire terrier is its beautiful long and shiny coat. But the fur of a Yorkie needs regular maintenance in order to keep it in tip top condition.
So how do you choose the best dog shampoo for Yorkies when there are so many options out there?
Although we only see the long, silky coated Yorkies in the show ring, the Yorkie’s coat comes in two different types.
These silk coated dogs are the ones that we see in the show ring. Their fur is fine, silky and can extend to over a foot in length. In fact, this type of coat is much more like hair than fur and grows in a single straight layer.
Soft-coat Yorkies are often defined as either cotton or woolly coat. Their fur may be straight or wavy, and it is usually shorter than their silk-coat counterparts.
Sometimes an undercoat is present, and the fur tends to look less shiny. Often soft-coat Yorkies are the ones that you see clipped in a short style.
How to choose the best shampoo
Whatever type of coat your Yorkshire terrier has, it needs a lot of grooming. Not only do these dogs require daily brushing to tease out any knots, but also regular baths to keep their coats in the best condition.
So how do you choose the best dog shampoo for Yorkies? Here are a few things to consider;
- Is your Yorkie silk or soft coated?
- Does your Yorkies have sensitive skin?
- How often do your bath your dog
- What’s your budget?
- Is your dog’s skin dry?
Before we look at the best dog shampoo for Yorkies in detail, let’s look at some of the most important considerations;
We’ve picked shampoos that promise to clean, detangle and moisturise. Also, as many Yorkshire Terriers have problems with their skin, we’ve focused on sensitive skin formulas with natural, low chemical ingredients.
Quick Comparison: Best dog shampoo for Yorkies
Now, if you want the full run down on each shampoo, keep reading.
- NATURALLY-DERIVED PET SHAMPOO- This shampoo by Natural Rapport is made with natural, plant-based ingredients. It contains oatmeal and aloe, which moisturize to soothe & provide relief to dry itchy...
- CONVENIENT DOG SHAMPOO - Our specially formulated dog shampoo is convenient and easy to use. Simply work the shampoo into your dog's fur for a rich lather that quickly rinses away, making the...
- 5-IN-1 TREATMENT - The Complete Dog Wash works as a complete five in one treatment as hair conditioner and detangler while simultaneously cleaning, moisturizing, and deodorizing your dog's fur and...
Natural Rapport dog shampoo and conditioner is a plant-based formula that promises to clean, moisturise, detangle, deodorise and condition your dog’s coat!
That’s a big claim for one product.
Tough on dirt but gentle on skin this soap-free formula leaves skin moisturised and soothed. And according to Natural rapport themselves ‘leaves a show-pet shine’. It contains no Phosphates, Sulphates, Parabens, or alcohol.
We love the fact that all the ingredients are biodegradable and that the bottle is recyclable. Ok, that’s two things, but we like them both!
- All the ingredients are naturally derived and biodegradable
- Especially suitable for dogs with sensitive or dry skin
- No need for a separate container
- Doesn’t produce a very good lather
This hard working shampoo not only cleans but also moisturises your dog’s skin.
With aloe leaf juice it soothes dry skin and keeps it hydrated. This in addition to panthenol also strengthens hair and protects your dog’s coat from damage.
- Strengthens coat
- The scent is quite powerful
This shampoo is designed specifically for medium and long coated breeds. And not only contains aloe vera to moisturise skin but also Safflower oil to detangle and add shine.
The Silky Show Shampoo contains human grade ingredients which are over 90% organic. And all from renewable resources.
- Specifically designed for long coats
- Contains natural oils for a shiny coat
- Organic ingredients
- Can be irritating for dogs with extra sensitive skin
- NEW! Animology Hair of the Dog Detangle Dog Shampoo 250ml is a gentle yet effective shampoo for dogs that has been specially formulated to detangle even the most matted and tangled coats. Washing your...
Not only does Animology hair of the dog shampoo remove knots and tangles but it also deodorises, and is easy to rinse.
Mild enough for regular use but with a deep clean action it contains Pro-Vitamin B5 to help improve the strength and health of your dog’s coat and skin.
- PH balanced
- Easy rinse formula
- Small product size
For dogs with sensitive skins, this shampoo is a perfect choice. It’s packed full of soothing skin ingredients like aloe, chamomile and oat proteins.
Its gentle cleansing formula conditions as it cleans. And leaves your dog smelling subtly of almonds due to the sweet almond conditioning oils.
- Perfect for sensitive skin
- Promotes skin healing
- Relieves itching and irritation
- Not much scent and it doesn’t last long
For very sensitive dogs, this fragrance-free, no tears formula is great. Manufactured using renewable plant based cleansers like coconut and aloe vera, it also contains added vitamins including A, B, D and E.
Made specifically for pets that have skin sensitivities, it’s safe to use on puppies over six weeks old. All the ingredients are 100% natural and are picked because they are mild and non-irritant.
- Exceptionally mild
- Tearless formula
- Non irritant and fragrance free
- The smell is subtle
- Can cause irritation if a dog has very sensitve skin
- CLEAN, NOURISH, PAMPER - Our premium natural ingredients and hand selected scents are designed to spoil your pet by providing a human grade product that will leave your pet looking great, feeling...
- MOISTURIZE, SOOTHE, SOFTEN - Relieve dry, itchy, flaky and sensitive skin with our gentle and soothing formula.
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS - No parabens, sulfates, mineral oils, phthalates or artificial dyes.
This shampoo is manufactured with natural ingredients, without parabens, sulfates, mineral oils, phthalates and artificial dyes.
- Natural ingredients
- Fresh scent
- Small bottle
- Rinse well to prevent irritation
What is the best dog shampoo for Yorkies?
Although spending time and money on shampoo especially suited to your Yorkie may seem like a lot of work. It will reap dividends for your dog’s coat and skin and potentially your pocket too.
Owning a Yorkie usually means that you need to visit your local dog groomer on a regular basis. But if you can look after your dog’s coat in between visits you may be able to make those trips less frequently.
Despite what you may have heard, human shampoos and conditioners are not suitable to use on your Yorkshire Terrier or any dog for that matter.
While our skin has a Ph balance that is typically around 5.2 – 5.5 our dog’s skin is around 6.2 – 7.52 making it much more alkaline. Using products not designed specifically for your dog can lead to problems including;
- Dry, irritated skin
- Greasy coat
- Increased doggy smell
- Licking and chewing paws
- Poor fur condition
- Frequent baths needed
If you own a Yorkshire terrier, you already know the amount of time and effort that goes into keeping their coats in top condition. So invest in shampoo that will do the best job for you and your dog.
Last update on 2020-06-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API