All dogs love to chew. Not only does chewing help keep your dog’s teeth nice and clean but it also alleviates boredom and anxiety.
What’s more, gnawing releases endorphins from your dog’s brain making them feel good.
Providing a safe way for your dog to indulge in this activity can be challenging, especially if your dog is an aggressive chewer.
Finding the best durable dog toys can be difficult. While no toy is completely chew proof, however, there are toys on the market that are more robust than others. If you choose wisely, your dog should have hours of contented chewing in front of them.
Durability is obviously a significant factor in choosing dog toys for aggressive chewers. However, it’s also important to consider the materials that a chew toy is made of.
If the worse does happen and your dog ingests a part of the toy you want to be confident that it’s non-toxic and has a good chance of passing through your dog’s digestive system without a problem.
Material and cloth toys, although suitable for some dogs are best avoided if your dog likes to rip them apart.
Additionally, squeakers are exciting, but many dogs are tempted to shred the toy to find them. While stuffing free toy options are available, the material itself can cause issues if your dog swallows it.
Unfortunately, vinyl and latex toys although popular are not usually tough enough for the strongest chewers. So choosing a robust material that is non-toxic and durable is key.
How to choose the best toys for dogs that chew
Although it may be tempting to opt for cheap toys if your dog regularly destroys them, they simply don’t last as long as a high-quality option made especially for aggressive chewers.
Despite many toys marketed as ‘indestructible’, there is no such thing. However, there are many toys on the market that do a good job of keeping strong chewers entertained.
Opting for hard rubber or rope based toys is the best way to provide your dog with an opportunity to chew safely.
Never the less, always keep a watchful eye on your dog when they are engaged in chewing and remove the toy if it becomes damaged.
Nine of the best durable dog toys
Although an unbreakable toy has yet to be made, some toys do come close. Here are our top 9 best toys for dogs that chew.
- Instinctual Needs: The KONG Extreme black rubber toy helps satisfy dogs' instinctual needs and provides mental stimulation. Healthy play is important for dogs' physical and mental development,...
- Fetch Toy: The KONG Extreme's unpredictable bounce makes for exciting games of fetch and other interactive play with your pet. This rubber toy is specifically designed for super power chewers and can...
- Great For Stuffing: The stuffable KONG Extreme is even more enticing when treat filled with bits of kibble, peanut butter, KONG Easy Treat, Snacks or Ziggies. Dishwasher safe for easy clean up. Bonus:...
The original chew toy for aggressive chewers. Kong has been producing dog toys and interactive feeders since 1970’s.
The black KONG is the toughest option in the range and can be stuffed with treats for extra stimulation.
Made from 100% natural rubber, they are non-toxic, dishwasher safe and come in a variety of sizes suitable for most dogs.
- EXTRA LONG PLAYTIME: Holds 2 extra-thick PetSafe Busy Buddy Ultra treat rings to keep dogs motivated to play longer
- DURABLE FOR STRONG CHEWERS: A tough nylon core and resilient rubber covering stand up to aggressive chewing
- TOUGH TREAT TOY: Ultra-wide treat ring is 4x thicker than our regular Busy Buddy rawhide rings
This Stratos toy by PetSafe is for dogs that are active chewers. Made from nylon and rubber, it features two ultra-thick bacon flavoured treat rings.
As the treat rings are the same diameter as the toy, it increases the difficulty in accessing them and provides long-lasting entertainment for your dog.
Once your dog has eaten them, they can be replaced by unscrewing the ends of the toy.
Although material based chew toys are not always very robust, this Nuts for Knots ball deserves a place on our best dog chew toy list.
Made with heavy duty knotted rope, they are great to gnaw and help keep your dog’s teeth and gums healthy. What’s more, knotted balls provide hours of interactive fun when you indulge your dog in a game of fetch.
The Hurley dog toy is part ball, part bone and ideal for water loving dogs as it floats. Recyclable and durable the Hurley is perfect for tough chewers.
The UK distributors are so confident in their product that they give a one-time free replacement or refund if your dog damages it.
Dishwasher safe and non-toxic they are available in three sizes.
- Germ smart dog toy. BioCote protected. A more hygienic toy for your pet and your family.
- BioCote is an antimicrobial technology. An antimicrobial is something which prevents the growth and survival of microbes including bacteria, mold and fungi.
- Lower levels of bacteria means improved hygiene, reductions in staining and odors and premature degradation of materials.
The Rosewood Apple Biosafe dog toy is more than just a chew toy. Made from soft but during plastic, the Apple can be filled with water and frozen to give your dog an extra treat especially in summer.
Coated in an antimicrobial technology that prevents the growth of bacteria, mould and fungi it keeps your dog safe as they play.
Apple scented, robust and available in ten different versions; each toy has its unique features.
If your dog loves to play with a ball, but you’re fed up with ripped up tennis balls, then this robust option could be for you.
Durable, bouncy and buoyant, it’s all your dog could wish for. What’s more, its mint scented non-toxic and 100% recyclable.
- SAME RUBBER THE ASTRONAUTS USE – SERIOUSLY, our reinforced natural rubber is designed by engineers that make rubber for spaceships and aircraft. UNIQUE DURABILITY FOR UNIQUE DOGS: We have multiple...
- MULTIPLE SIZES PERFECTLY FIT YOUR POOCH: We have sizes for every type of dog jaw and chewing intensity. After many years designing chew toys, we found it’s healthiest to use a toy that reduces...
- SAVE MONEY & YOUR SANITY – NO MORE ruined pillows, couches, or clothes that have been chewed up. No more wasting money on interactive dog toys that break in a week. Save your money with our chew...
The GoughNut is the most expensive toy on our list, but it comes with a lifetime guarantee. Made with safety in mind each toy has a patented safety indicator, black/green means GoughNuts and red means stop.
Designed by engineers the GoughNut is sturdy, natural black rubber it floats, bounces and gives hours of chewing fun.
- Long lasting chew toy challenges even the most aggressive chewers and discourages destructive chewing
- Tough, durable nylon chewing ends keeps powerful chewers busy
- Bristles raised during chewing help clean teeth and control plaque and tartar
Depending on the type of Nylabone they are made with plastic, rubber or nylon. Although not designed to be ingested, small splinter sized pieces are raised during chewing.
These tiny rice size pieces help clean your dog’s teeth and if swallowed should pass through your dog’s digestive tract without any issue.
Chicken flavoured, this chew should provide your dog with hours of entertainment. Scrub them with warm water if they become dirty.
Nylabone also does edible chews, so check the packaging carefully before giving it to your dog.
- Perfect for Large Dogs: The Large Romp-n-Roll features a ball that measures 8 inches in diameter and is ideal for dogs weighing over 60 pounds
- Will not deflate when punctured: The Romp-n-Roll is made from Jolly Pet’s signature JollyFlex material- an innovative, durable, non-toxic material that can be punctured without deflating and bounces...
- Designed to be tugged, thrown, carried & launched: The Romp-N-Roll features an Easy Grip rope for hours of outdoor play. The rope can be pulled back and forth through the ball, but never comes out
These balls are made of heavy duty foam and are puncture proof. Suspended on a rope, they can be tossed, chewed and chased.
Originally designed (in larger sizes) for horses Jolly Pets know a thing or two about making robust toys.
The weak point on this toy is the rope which is a bit flimsy compared to the rest of the toy. Remove it if you’re concerned, but it doesn’t ruin the fun with the ball.
Best dog toys for strong chewers
Solid rubber toys will always be the toughest option on the market. However, no toy is indestructible so never leave your dog unsupervised while they are playing. Also check the toy regularly and remove it if there is any damage.
Rope toys are a great alternative to rubber but opt for large, robust versions. Knotted designs will last longer than plaited options with loose ends.
Although some of these toys are on the expensive end of the market, investing in a quality product is more cost effective in the long run.
Our verdict? The Kong is king. Robust, versatile and with the added benefit of being an interactive feeder too, it’s great value for money.
Last update on 2020-10-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API