Providing your dog with a heated dog bed may seem like a luxury, but there are many advantages of providing your dog with a warm place to snooze.
Of course, the most obvious reason for opting for a heated dog bed is if you live in a cold climate. But did you know that both young puppies and older dogs could benefit from the additional warmth too?
With a variety of options on the market, the choice can be confusing. So, we’ve rounded up the best-heated dog beds and mats on the market. Our top pick is the K&H Pet Products Thermo-Snuggly Sleeper for overall versatility and comfort but for more options read on.
Benefits of a heated dog bed
Our dogs feel the cold just as we do. While some dogs enjoy chilly weather, others suffer when the temperature drops. Feeling cold can disrupt sleep, make us irritable and more importantly affect our health and it’s no different for our dogs.
So, although it may seem like an overindulgence to invest in a heated bed for your dog, many dogs benefit from the extra warmth.
Some breeds of dog are more suited to cold weather than others. Compare a Husky with its thick double coat to a Yorkshire Terrier with its beautiful hair-like coat, and you’ll get an idea of how different breeds are more or less tolerant to cold weather.
In fact, many small dogs struggle in cold climates as do dogs with single coats. Providing a warm sleeping place goes a long way to keeping your dog healthy and happy.
Dogs with existing health conditions also benefit from a warm place to sleep. Kidney disease, hormonal imbalances, diabetes and heart disease all make it more difficult for your dog to regulate their body temperature.
Not only that but age-related conditions like arthritis become much more painful in cold weather so keeping your dog warm is a must.
- Outside living
Keeping your dog warm is especially important if they spend extended time outside. While a suitable shelter will keep off the worse of the weather, it won’t keep your dog warm when the temperature drops.
If you are cold outside, your dog will be too. Investing in an outside bed, especially a heated bed will keep your dog healthy and happy and give you peace of mind.
In this article, we’ll be reviewing the following best heated dog beds
- Furhaven Pet Warming Blanket
- Pet Heating pad
- RIOGOO Pet Heating Pad
- K&H Pet Products Thermo-Snuggly Sleeper
- Aspen Pet Self Warming Beds
What to look for in the best heated dog beds
Choosing a heated bed doesn’t need to be complicated. Looking out for a few basic features will help you choose the best option for your dog.
- Self-warming or electric
Self-warming beds work with your dog’s body heat, reflecting it back to keep them warm. They make use of heat-reflecting materials and have the advantage that they can be used anywhere as they don’t need to be plugged in.
Electrically heated dog beds, in contrast, need to be plugged into an outlet to generate heat. They generally produce more heat than their self-warming counterparts but are more restrictive as they need an outlet nearby.
Safety is more relevant to electrically heated beds. As they have both a heating element and an electric cord. If your dog likes to chew it’s worth looking for options with cord protectors or even hidden cables.
Not only that, but the bed needs to be robust and thick enough to prevent your dog from sinking so low that they come into contact with the heating element.
If you consider where you want to use the bed, it goes a long way to help make an informed choice. For example, if you’re using a heated bed outside, you’ll also need it to be waterproof. Are you going to be using it in a crate? If so, size will inform your choice, etc.
With those things in mind here are our top choices for the best heated dog beds;
- PRODUCT DETAILS: 32" x 48" Sleep surface, Color: Espresso
- SLEEP SURFACE: The cuddly quilted velvet sleep surface is soft and gentle on both noses and paws, providing cozy snuggles and comfortable nuzzling comfort for your favorite pet.
- SELF-WARMING: This self-warming blanket is electricity-free. The reflective thermal mat is encased within the confines of the quilted velvet blanket, fitting snugly against a layer of insulating...
We’re starting our top choice of heated dog bed with a blanket. But we think it well deserves to be in our top five. Not only does it use reflective material similar to emergency blankets encased in insulating polyester but the whole thing is machine washable.
Perfect from travel as it doesn’t need to be plugged in. It can be used on its own or on top of an existing bed to provide additional warmth when the weather turns chilly.
Not only that but the blanket is available in four sizes and eight colors and has a non-slip backing to keep it in place. It’s perfect for providing your dog with a lightweight, soft and cozy spot to sleep.
- Well-made and durable
- Soft and safe as there’s no electrical element to worry about
- Portable meaning that your dog can travel with you and still stay warm
- Not suitable for dogs that chew
- Although described as a blanket, it’s more mat-like so it won’t wrap around your dog
- The insulating layer makes a crinkly sound which may put off some sensitive dogs
- HIGH HEATING EFFICIENCY - Heat up about 10 min. Temperature can be adjusted (up to 104℉) with high/low level of temperature control. This pad can meet different pet demand for the temperature.
- SAFE & SECURE - Worry-free of overheating. Power-off protection temperature control can avoid overheating to protect your pets. Keep the heating pad flat (DO NOT FOLD IT) when you use it. Indoor use...
- CHEW RESISTANT CORD - The cord with metal outer layer provide chew-resistant protection. Don't worry your pet biting or chewing it. Will give you replacement or full refund if the cord was bitten by...
This heating pad heats up in ten minutes meaning your dog never stays cold for long. It’s available in four sizes making it suitable for both small and large dogs.
What’s more, the temperature control has a simple high, low and off function giving you the option to reduce and increase the heat with a touch of a button.
Not only that but the cord is steel- covered making it chew resistant and the cover is durable PVC making it easy to wipe down and keep clean.
- Waterproof construction means you don’t have to worry if your dog is damp or has an accident when laying on the pad
- Only takes ten minutes to heat up
- The high-temperature setting is very warm which is great, but you may want to set it to low if you’re using it overnight
- There isn’t an auto shut off, so the pad will stay on as long as it’s plugged in
- There’s no simple way to clean it as the cover is not removable
- The chew resistant cord is just that – chew resistant, it won’t stand up to a determined dog
- Heating Pad for Dogs and Cats: Fourth generation heating pad suitable for senior pets, arthritic pets, new born pets, pregnant pets or animals recovering from illness or injury. Help the pet (dog,...
- Auto Power Off Function Pet Heating Pad: Time setting 0-12 Hour Heating pad will be powered off when you forget to turn off the switch
- Safey and Secure Stucture : 7 layer Protection Structure with UL approved heating wire will prevent your pet from get burnt. With temperature sensor inside warming mat can avoid overheating to protect...
This heat pad from Riogoo has easy to use control that allows you to set both temperature and timer settings. It has an automatic power off function which is useful if you forget to turn off the heating element.
The soft cover is removable for easy washing. And the pad can be used on any flat surface which means you can add it to your dog’s existing bed for additional warmth.
What’s more, the cord is steel-wrapped making it chew-resistant.
- The cover is machine washable which is good for keeping the pad clean
- The twelve-hour timer means it will automatically shut off if you forget to do it
- Adjustable heat settings mean you can up the heat when the temperature drops and reduce it on slightly warmer days
- The chew-resistant cord won’t hold up to determined dogs
- Only available in one size which is a disadvantage if you have a large dog
- The automatic shut off option is great for some users but a real disadvantage for others as you have to reset the pad each twelve hours
- This K&H heated pet bed size medium (26" X 20" X 5) is the perfect pet bed for pets with hip dysplasia, arthritis, or any other joint or pain problems. Also, great for any pet that needs a little...
- This soft and comfortable indoor pet bed is thermostatically controlled to warm to your pet's normal body temperature when in use. The dual thermostat is internal and preset to the perfect temperature...
- Removable cushion and removable heater make washing a breeze. simply put both the cover and the pillow in the wash on the gentle cycle with cold water. Line dry them or use the no-heat setting on your...
This heated dog bed offers all the comfort of a traditional bed but with the added advantage of the additional warmth.
The bed is thermostatically controlled to warm the bed to match your dog’s body temperature when in use. Also, when not in use it remains at ten to fifteen degrees Fahrenheit above ambient temperature.
What’s more, the heating element is removable which means the bed is suitable for multi-seasonal use and the covers are washable too.
- The removable heating element is an excellent feature as it means that the bed is usable in all seasons
- Removable and washable covers are ideal for keeping the bed sanitary and in good shape
- Energy efficient heating element using only six watts
- The electrical cord lays over the back of the bed which is an unfortunate design flaw. If your dog chews, it’s not worth the risk.
- Sizing is not perfect. The measurements provided are from underneath the bed seam to seam. So, consider this when ordering.
- No on/off switch, so it needs to stay plugged in all the time
- HEAT-REFLECTING TECHNOLOGY: Includes a special interior layer that reflects pets' body heat to provide comfort and warmth
- NON-SLIP SAFETY: Non-skid bottom keeps the thermal cat bed in place for worry-free placement on tile and hardwood floors in the home
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE: With a lightweight polyester construction, the thermal cat bed works as a travel bed for pets and pet parents on the go
This self-warming round bed is perfect for dogs that like to curl up when they sleep. The high walls combined with the Mylar heat-reflecting layer make it exceptionally cozy and draught-free.
The exterior is durable corduroy while the sleep surface is a soft faux lambswool. What’s more, the bed has a non-slip bottom which prevents it from slipping around if you’re using it on hardwood floor or tiles.
Not only that but these beds are available in three styles; round bed, pillow bed, and rectangular lounger so if the round bed isn’t suitable for your dog’s sleeping style there’s bound to be one that is. If that wasn’t enough, there’s also a choice of five sizes.
- The bed can be hand-washed which keeps it in good shape and hygienic
- It’s soft, and the high walls protect your dog from draughts
- The bed is lightweight which makes it portable which is ideal if you’re traveling with your dog
- The round bed isn’t very supportive as the sides are soft. Which makes it unsuitable for dogs with mobility issues
- The non-slip dots tend to fall off and litter your house
- Pay careful attention to the measurements and look for the sleeping area size rather than the overall bed dimensions.
Best heated dog beds conclusion
Not only does a heated dog bed provide relief from freezing temperatures it can also benefit your dog’s health.
Many dogs, including puppies, elderly dogs, dogs with medical conditions as well as small and single coated dogs all benefit from additional warmth when it’s chilly.
Out top choice is the K&H Pet Products Thermo-Snuggly Sleeper for overall versatility and comfort and we like the fact that the heating element is removable when the weather turns warmer
Last update on 2019-01-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API