Typically marketed at older dogs who may suffer from sore and stiff joints. Orthopedic dog beds are specifically designed to help ease the pressure on our dog’s joints and bones as they sleep.
Usually made with memory foam, orthopedic dogs beds work to distribute your dog’s weight evenly. Offering maximum support and providing optimum body alignment for a restful sleep.
Memory foam is also great at retaining heat. So is especially suitable for dogs with arthritis or sore joints as the warmth helps tender muscles to relax. Our top choice is the Pet fusion ultimate lounger but for more options read on.
Benefits of an orthopedic dog bed
Our dogs spend a lot of time snoozing. However, they are prone to age-related conditions that affect their ability to sleep. Arthritis, stiff joints, loss of muscle and dysplasia all make it more difficult for our dogs to rest comfortably.
Providing your dog with a comfortable and supportive place to sleep can help alleviate a lot of the pain associated with the above complaints.
A good orthopedic bed will distribute your dog’s weight evenly, preventing painful pressure points like elbows and hips and relieve sore muscles.
In this article, we’ll be reviewing the following orthopedic dog beds
- Pet Fusion ultimate lounger
- The Dog's Bed, Orthopedic Memory Foam bed
- FurHaven Orthopedic Sofa-Style Couch
- BarksBar Orthopedic Snuggly Sleeper
- Big Barker 7
What to consider when buying an orthopedic dog bed
The most important consideration when choosing an orthopedic dog bed is the core. While memory foam is the most common foam used, there is also egg-crate foam and orthopedic foam.
Some beds will use a mixture of the foams to provide additional support and temperature control. Whatever the core material, the foam needs to be at least two inches thick to provide adequate support.
Bolsters are also a good idea. They provide additional back support if your dog likes to curl up. Not only that but they can act as a barrier to prevent a dog with mobility issues from rolling off the bed as they try to get up.
Orthopedic beds come in a variety of shapes and sizes but keep in mind that if your dog is struggling with joint pain, you need to opt for a style that is easy to climb in and out. While a thick foam base is ideal for joints, it poses a challenge for a dog with mobility issues.
So here are our top choices for the best orthopedic beds.
Best orthopedic dog beds
- PREMIUM COMPONENTS & BETTER HEALTH: (i) SOLID 4 inch MEMORY FOAM base for superior overall comfort, reduced joint pain (arthritis) and improved health, mobility, & energy. (ii) Calming bed for dogs...
- SMART DESIGN: (i) Base & bolsters provide optimal support & security. (ii) Water resistant & tear resistant cover. (iii) Non-skid bottom. (iv) Blends in seamlessly with your home. (v) Replacement...
- PEACE OF MIND: (i) Certi-PUR-US Memory foam. NO mercury, lead, formaldehyde, phthalates, & ozone depleters. (ii) Low VOC emissions for indoor air quality. (iii) Passes stricter European REACH safety...
This is a great bed, supportive, easy to access and with bolster cushions around three-quarters of the bed. The memory foam is a generous four inches thick providing fantastic support. The Outer twill material is water resistant, and it has a waterproof inner liner just in case of accidents.
The covers are removable for easy cleaning, and the bolster cushions are well filled offering additional comfort. What’s more, it’s available in four sizes and three colors which makes it suitable for most dogs and home décor.
- Removable and washable covers are a huge plus point
- Replacement covers are available at an additional cost
- Generous memory foam offers excellent support
- The anti-slip base is a useful addition especially on hardwood or tile floors
- The zip is prone to breakages
- This could be a pro as well as a con, but the material attracts hair like a magnet. While it keeps it off your floor, it does mean that you’ll need to clean the bed often.
- Measure carefully and pay attention to the sleeping area, not the overall size of the bed
- XL Grey Plush 46” x 28” x 6” (+3" Headrest) waterproof orthopedic dog bed. Solid 2” high density, orthopedic memory foam over a solid 4” base of high stability premium support foam with...
- A prudent preventative measure for younger dogs of breeds predisposed to joint conditions, ensuring your dog’s joints remain mobile into their senior years, improving their quality of life and...
- Therapeutic bed designed to provide relief and comfort to tripawds, dogs with joint conditions such as hip and elbow dysplasia, arthritis, patella luxation, osteochondritis and other conditions such...
Fantastic bed if your dog likes to stretch out. Comfortable for your dog to access, supportive and available in faux fur or smooth material.
It has a waterproof inner lining which is ideal for little accidents. And the covers are machine washable and resistant to mold and dust mites.
The four-inch memory foam base includes two-inches of premium, high-density orthopedic memory foam which provides additional support.
The cover and waterproof inner are both removable and machine washable making it easy to keep clean. What’s more, you can buy additional covers separately. Which means you can have one in the wash and one on the bed at the same time. Available in four colors trims it comes with a molded headrest for extra comfort.
- Easy to access
- Washable covers
- Replacement covers available
- The two types of memory foam offer superior support
- The pillow is quite low – more like a bump than a bolster
- If your dog moves a lot when they sleep, they can fall off as there isn’t any support around the edges
- Relatively high to climb onto especially for dogs with arthritis
- PET FRIENDLY DESIGN: The bed features a classic sofa design with three-sided bolsters that promote security and provide additional high-loft cushion support for head resters, as well as cozy nestling...
- SLEEP SURFACE: The sleep surface is lined with ultra plush faux fur, while the bolsters are wrapped in easy-care micro suede; both are soft-to-touch fabrics that no pet could ever resist snuggling...
- EASY ON JOINTS: The egg crate orthopedic foam helps cushion pressure points, distribute body weight, and improve air circulation, while the fluffy-filled bolsters provide optimum support for the neck,...
This is a great budget option from FurHaven. The bolster style provides back support and somewhere for your dog to rest their head. What’s more, the deep egg-crate foam base is supportive, easing joints and muscles.
Both the bolster and main covers are removable for easy cleaning, and there’s a faux fur sleeping surface to keep your dog nice and warm.
Available in four sizes and four colors. This bed is a perfect couch-like space for when your dog is no longer able to jump up with you to watch TV.
- Egg-crate foam allows more airflow than a solid base which is good for warm climates
- Washable covers mean it’s easy to clean
- Bolster cushions support your dog while they sleep
- The bolsters aren’t that supportive
- The zippers break easily and are visible. So if you have a dog that likes to play tug, you may have to find a way of hiding them
- The egg-crate foam isn’t as supportive as solid memory foam. So if you have a large dog or a dog that needs firm support, you may find this bed lacking
- Large Orthopedic Sleeper: 40” x 30” x 10" - Ideal for Medium to Large size dogs and also great for multiple smaller dogs. Can easily hold up to 100+ lbs and fitted for pets up to 36" in length.
- Inner Dimensions of Sleeping Space: 36" x 24" - Crafted with top-of-the-line workmanship and premium materials, it is built to both provide the ultimate sleep experience with superior overall comfort...
- Premium Materials include: (1) Ultra Soft Polyester Cover with a luxurious quilted design, (2) 4" of Solid Orthopedic Foam base for the optimal balance of comfort, reduced joint pain and improved...
This cozy option by Barksbar comes with a solid three and a half inch memory foam base. The bolster cushions offer support on all sides of the bed. The front bolster slightly lower for ease of entry and exit.
As you would expect from a good quality bed, the cover is removable for easy cleaning. Not only that but it’s lovely and soft providing a comfortable place for your dog to sleep.
The bottom of the bed is non-slip which is useful if the bed is going on hardwood or tile floors. While it may not be the best shape for dogs that like to sleep stretched out, it’s perfect for dog’s that sleep curled into a ball which is why it makes into our top choices.
- Perfect for dogs that like to nest as there are bolsters all around the bed
- Available in two sizes, medium and large. Be sure to measure the sleeping area not the overall size of the bed
- Solid memory foam base provides superior support
- Dogs with mobility issues may find it a struggle to get in and out of due to the high front
- The material in the sleeping area is not very thick. If your dog likes to dig before laying down to sleep, it won’t last long
- The bolster cushions do go flat and are not easy to fluff
- CALIBRATED FOR BIG DOGS: Available in Large, XL, Giant XXL dog bed sizes. Too powerful for small dogs.
- CLINICALLY PROVEN: University of Pennsylvania study data showed less pain, more mobility after using a Big Barker for just 28 days.
- 10 YEAR WARRANTY: American made therapeutic foam is the best quality you'll find in orthopedic dog beds. Won't flatten or pancake over time.
This flat bed from Big Barker is ideal for big dogs that like to sleep stretched out. Not only do these beds come in large, extra-large and giant versions, but they also come in four color options too.
The orthopedic foam is dense at seven inches. Constructed of two two-inch layers of comfort foam sandwich a three-inch layer of support foam. For large or heavy dogs, it’s ideal providing superior support for those dogs that need it most.
Not only that but the foam has an ‘open cell’ construction which means it doesn’t get as hot as memory foam options.
The soft microfibre cover is easy to clean. Not only that but it holds up well to dogs that like to dig before they sleep. In fact, Big Barker is so confident in the structure of their bed that they offer a ten-year guarantee that it will keep ninety percent of its shape and support or they will replace it.
- The foam is dense making it perfect for large dogs who often sink in memory foam beds
- The warranty is exceptional. You would be hard placed to find another bed with anything similar
- The foam is open cell making it cooler than traditional memory foam beds. And as a bonus, there is no ‘off-gassing’ so consequently no nasty smell
- There isn’t any waterproofing although you can purchase a waterproof liner separately
- The height of the foam provides excellent support. However, there isn’t anything to prevent your dog from rolling off as they move in their sleep.
- As the foam is so dense, it makes walking on the bed challenging for dogs with mobility issues
Best orthopedic dog beds conclusion
A quality orthopedic dog bed is a sound investment. Not only will it help your dog sleep better, but it will also go a long way to ease any stiffness and pain.
Even if your dog is young and energetic, an orthopedic dog bed can still be of benefit. It can ease tired muscles and keep your dog’s spine properly aligned as they sleep.
Our top choice is the Pet Fusion ultimate lounger It offers a generous size sleeping area while benefitting from bolster cushions that provide extra support not only that it’s easy to keep clean and comes with a waterproof liner just in case of any accidents.
Last update on 2020-10-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API