Waterproof beds have two significant advantages over their non-waterproof counterparts. Firstly, it means your dog has a comfortable place to sleep outside and secondly, they are ideal for puppies and older dogs that may have an occasional accident.
Easy to wash and designed to keep moisture away from the center of the bed, waterproof dog beds keep your dog dry and comfortable as they snooze.
We’ve rounded up some of the best waterproof dog beds, but if you want a quick pick, we like the The Dog's Bed for overall durability, ease of cleaning and waterproofing.
Waterproof vs. water resistant
Waterproof dog beds tend to fall into two categories; waterproof and water resistant. While both do an excellent job at keeping moisture away from the inner core of the bed, it’s worth knowing the difference between the two as it will impact your choice.
Waterproof beds typically have a thin waterproof membrane sewn underneath the outer layer. This membrane is often plastic based and provides a barrier that stops moisture from reaching the padding of the bed. Waterproof beds are particularly suitable for outdoor use or for dogs with incontinence issues.
In contrast, water-resistant beds generally use a water-resistant coating on the outer material of the bed so that moisture runs off the fabric and doesn’t soak into the bed itself. Water resistant beds are perfect for occasional outdoor use and for puppies and older dogs that have an occasional accident.
In this article, we’ll be reviewing the following Waterproof and resistant dog beds
- KOPEKS - Memory Foam Dog Bed with Pillow
- Milliard Premium Waterproof Dog Bed
- Walkin' Wheels Elevated Bed
- The Dog's Bed
- Brindle Waterproof Memory Foam Pet Bed
What to look for in a waterproof dog bed
As with all dog beds, there are some basic things to consider like size, your dog’s needs and how your dog likes to sleep, for example, would they benefit from an orthopedic mattress and do they prefer to sleep curled up or stretched out?
However waterproof beds also have their own unique qualities to look for;
- Ease of care
If you’re in the market for a waterproof bed because your dog has incontinence issues, you’ll need an option that is easy to keep clean. Removable and machine washable covers are the best choice here. It’s also useful if you can buy additional covers so that you can get one in the wash and one on the bed at the same time.
The type of material is probably the most important consideration as it’s the first layer of defense against moisture. Common water-wicking materials are Oxford, Nylon and polyester. Instead of absorbing the water into the fabric, it pools or collects in droplets on the surface allowing the moisture to run off the material and evaporate.
Waterproof material is all well and good, but the stitching is equally important. It’s no good having a barrier that prevents moisture from getting through and then perforating with hundreds of tiny holes that water will easily penetrate. Look for smooth surfaces with minimal stitching or sealed seams.
So with those things in mind, here are our top five waterproof dog beds.
- dimensions: 50”l x 34”w x 7” thick memory foam plus a 3” thick headrest
- hypo-allergenic premium memory foam - not egg crate foam or other orthorpedic non memory foams - compare to therapeutic foam found in high end mattress stores
- special loving: great for pets with arthritis or joint and muscle issues
This is an excellent option from KOPEKS. Not only will your dog be extremely comfortable, supported by a thick seven-inch memory foam base, but they also have a pillow to rest their head on.
The soft micro-suede cover is machine washable, and there’s a zippered waterproof layer underneath that keeps your dog clean and fresh.
Although the bottom of the bed has rubber dots making it non-slip, it won’t stand up to being outside on a damp day. Having said that it’s ideal for hardwood or tiled floors and stops the bed from sliding around.
- Supportive and comfortable
- Both the outer cover and the waterproof cover have zippers which means you can remove them for cleaning
- Replacement covers are available
- The cover is not very robust and will rip if your dog digs before they lay down
- The zippers are poor quality and break easily
- The non-slip dots don’t stay on the bed but migrate all over your home
- Comfort- The Milliard 4" Dog Bed offers the perfect combination of support and luxe comfort by combining a sturdy foam base with a luxe memory foam layer.
- Quality- Made from durable materials and superior workmanship for a longer lasting bed.
- Convenience- The washable cover zips off and goes in the washing machine for easy care.
This memory foam dog bed from Milliard is perfect for dogs that like to stretch out. Available in four sizes it provides great support as well as providing a waterproof place to sleep.
The cover has a TPU (Thermoplastic polyurethane) coating underneath which protects the memory foam underneath. If your dog has an accident or the bed gets damp if left outside the moisture won’t get any further than the top layer.
Rubber non-slip dots cover the bottom of the bed which is ideal if you’re using it on hardwood floors. What’s more the cover zips off easily and is machine washable.
- Additional covers are available at extra cost which means you can have one on the bed and one in the washer
- Good range of sizes
- Waterproof backing keeps moisture out
- Not suitable for outdoor use as the waterproof material is only on the top
- The material is thin and rips easily, so if you have a dog that likes to dig before laying down it may not last long
- Although the cover is machine washable, the rubber dots come off
- GIVE PETS A GOOD NIGHT’S SLEEP AND PET PARENTS PEACE OF MIND - The Walkin’ SleePee Time Dog Bed is designed to help older dogs, or those suffering from urinary incontinence get a good night's...
- KEEP YOUR DOG COZY AND COOL - The elevated pet bed not only keeps your dog off the cold, hot, hard and uncomfortable surfaces but also helps them stay cool. The raised pet cot is still low to the...
- SOFT, COMFORTABLE DOG PILLOW - More than just an orthopedic dog bed, the SleePee Time can also be used as a regular sleeping surface for any pet. It also comes with a removable “lambs fleece”...
This elevated bed from Walkin’ Wheels is perfect for inside or outside use. It’s a sturdy PVC frame, and mesh bed area makes it easy to hose off and clean. What’s more, the removable ‘lambs fleece’ bolster is removable and machine washable.
Using an elevated bed means that air can circulate freely and helps evaporate any moisture. Not only that but this bed comes with a sturdy tray that sits beneath the sleeping area which is perfect for incontinent dogs. Not only does it help protect your floor, but it also helps keep your dog’s skin dry preventing discomfort.
Of course, you can remove the tray if your dog is snoozing outside and you just want somewhere comfortable and cool for your dog to sleep.
- Ideal for incontinent dogs. The urine drips through to the tray below meaning your dog stay much fresher
- Perfect as an indoor/outdoor bed. The raised platform means that air can circulate and keep your dog cool
- Having bolster cushions is a nice touch as they offer your dog somewhere soft to lay their heads
- The tray underneath is not connected to the bed in any way. So if your dog moves the bed or the tray gets knocked your carpet could still get wet
- Although the bolster cushion is a good idea, they are held on by This makes them a prime target for dogs who like to chew or play tug
- The frame is PVC piping which isn’t very sturdy
- Medium Grey with Red Trim (Easy Clean Cover) 34” x 22” x 4” waterproof orthopedic dog bed. Solid 2” high density, orthopedic memory foam over a solid 2” base of high stability premium...
- A prudent preventative measure for younger dogs of breeds predisposed to joint conditions, ensuring your dog’s joints remain mobile into their senior years, improving their quality of life and...
- Therapeutic bed designed to provide relief and comfort to tripawds, dogs with joint conditions such as hip and elbow dysplasia, arthritis, patella luxation, osteochondritis and other conditions such...
If you’re not familiar with The dog’s balls manufacturer, it’s worth giving them a second look. These othopedic beds have a waterproof mattress protector and removable covers making them exceptionally easy to clean.
The tough exterior, superior padding and durable construction should last your dog a lifetime.
- Waterproof mattress protector
- Durable and orthopedic suitable for and age of dog
- Removable covers for easy cleaning
- If your dog likes to chew, it won’t stand up for long – it’s durable but not indestructible
- Best for dogs that like to stretch out
- The waterproof mattress protector will stop small accidents but it isn’t entirely waterproof
- 4" thick dog bed is made of 2" of conforming memory foam and 2" of high density support foam
- Zippered cover can be easily removed and is washer/dryer safe
- Waterproof layer beneath the cover protects memory foam from messes
This bed from Brindle is another memory foam option with a waterproof liner. The liner covers the entire bed and is not removable although the outer cover is for easy washing. Replacement covers are also available which makes keeping a clean bed simple.
The bottom of the bed is non-slip while the top is four-inch memory foam covered plush velour that resists dirt and hair.
While not suitable for damp outdoor use, it does provide a supportive and comfortable place for your dog to sleep. What’s more, the waterproof liner offers peace of mind in case of accidents.
- Waterproof liner covers the whole bed and protects it well
- Available in three sizes and various colors
- The soft velour top is cozy and warm
- Unfortunately, the velour material does shed, especially when washed
- If your dog digs their bed before laying down, they are likely to go through both the top and waterproof layer of the bed making the waterproofing useless
- No replacement covers available
Best waterproof dog beds conclusion
Investing in a waterproof dog bed ensures that your dog stays dry and comfortable while they sleep. Whether it’s for outdoor use or because your dog has the odd night time accident waterproof dog beds can save time as well as protecting your dog from moisture.
Our top choice is the Komfy k9 Waterproof Dog Bed for overall durability, ease of cleaning and waterproofing.
Last update on 2021-04-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API