Choosing a bed for our dogs is not always easy. While we see a soft and squishy bed as a cosy place for our dogs to sleep, they often see it as the perfect chew toy.
A good dog bed is not cheap, so having it pulled to bits is frustrating as well as expensive. What’s more, for some dogs a chewed dog bed can prove dangerous.
While some dogs only chew foreign objects, others will ingest the material. Not only does this present a possible choking hazard but it can also lead to intestinal blockages and a hefty vet bill.
Although chewing is a natural behaviour for our dogs, other factors may increase the likelihood that your dog will chew, such as pain, boredom, teething and anxiety to name a few.
So how do we provide a comfortable and safe place for our dogs to sleep? Fortunately, there are lots of dog beds on the market designed especially for dogs that chew.
Chew Proof dog beds
It’s a big claim to call any dog bed chew proof or indestructible. Whether a dog bed is genuinely durable depends on many factors, not least your dog’s determination.
However, it’s always useful to think about why your dog might be chewing something they shouldn’t. Dealing with the cause can save time, distress and money in the long term.
Puppies teeth between three and seven months of age. The discomfort that they experience as they go through the process of getting their adult teeth gives them an uncontrollable urge to chew.
Not only does the action of chewing relieve some of the pain but it also helps loosen and remove the puppy teeth.
Dogs are social and need regular interaction to keep them happy. Dogs learn very quickly that chewing or stealing something they shouldn’t result in a game of chase or some form of attention from their owner.
The need for both physical and mental stimulation should not be underestimated. Many dogs chew to relieve boredom when left for long periods of time.
While some dogs tolerate boredom by sleeping, others will turn to destructive behaviours to relieve the monotony.
Many dogs suffer from separation anxiety and chew to relieve their distress. Often stress chewers choose items that smell strongly of their owners, like shoes for example.
While we explore objects with our hands, our dogs do so with their teeth. New items often get more attention than familiar ones, and de-stuffing is enjoyable for many dogs.
How to prevent chewing
Before you invest in a new bed, consider the above and any improvements you can make to your dog’s routine to reduce their desire to chew.
Simple things can go a long way to help your dog chew inappropriate items less;
- Exercise your dog. Taking your dog out twice a day provides both physical and mental exercise. Dogs that are allowed to sniff and explore are more likely to be relaxed and tired when they get home.
- Provide appropriate toys and chews for your dog. While it’s advisable to supervise your dog as they chew, giving them safe items to gnaw on will help minimise destructive chewing.
- Remove items that your dog finds tempting. This includes shoes, remote controls and anything that your dog can easily find or smells strongly of you.
- Play with your dog. Playing engages both your dog’s brain and body and can prevent boredom even when the play sessions are short.
- Whenever you see your dog chew something they shouldn’t always offer an appropriate chew or toy in its place. Praise them for chewing on the correct object and if possible remove the other object from sight.
Indestructible dog beds
Chew proof dog beds are designed to be durable. This often means that they are made of a chew-resistant material or have metal frames.
While they don’t look the cosiest of resting places, if your priority is to keep your dog from chewing they are a good option.
The harder the bed is to chew or de-stuff the less likely it is that your dog will persist in attempting to gnaw on it. The idea being that your dog will eventually get tired of trying and sleep on it instead of chewing it.
We’ve picked seven of the best chew proof dog beds, but you know your dog best. Choose the bed that your dog is least likely to chew.
- Patented, chewproof high strength, lightweight aircraft grade aluminum frame supports up to 250lbs.
- Elevated/Raised orthopedic design to keep your dog dry, cool, and comfortable indoors and outdoors.
- Easy to Clean, guaranteed to stand up to repeated cleaning.
The Kuranda chew proof dog bed comes in a variety of sizes, colours and frame materials. For determined chewers this bed is great.
With a sturdy PVC frame and tough Cordura fabric, it is durable, abrasion resistant and provides plenty of traction as your dog gets on and off the bed.
The ingenious design means that the edges and corners of the fabric sit inside the frame which discourages chewing. Also, if your dog is an exceptionally determined chewer, the structure is available in Aluminium. Elevated beds offer some advantages, not least that they keep your dog away from draughts while allowing airflow to keep them cool in hot weather.
- Tough, durable fabric
- Easy to clean
- Choice of colour
- Choice of frame
- Elevated – keeps dogs away from draughts
- Home assembly is tricky
- Material rips under intense digging
- Not supportive for large dogs
- Choose the alluminum frame if your dog is a heavy chewer
- Woven from our own proprietary blend of Rip-stop waterproof ballistic fabric.
- Each seam is triple stitched with an overlock stitch for add strength and durability
- The mattress is channeled to prevent clumping and shifting and is filled with a shredded CertiPUR-US American made foam.
Suitable for light to moderate chewers, this dog bed from K9 Ballistics has a memory foam base and tough ripstop ballistic fabric cover.
Claiming to resist ninety percent of chewing dogs, this bed has got a lot to live up to. Available in five sizes and nine colours this bed offers a supportive yet soft place for your dog to rest.
Backed by a ninety-day chew proof guarantee, there’s a lot to like about this robust bed. The smooth texture of the bed resists dirt, fur and liquid but is also removable for easy cleaning.
While pillow-style beds are not as chew-proof as metal frame beds this option from K9 is an excellent choice for less determined dogs.
- Good range of sizes
- Ripstop Ballistic fabric discourages chewing
- The fabric design prevents any damage from spreading
- Supportive and comfortable
- The material is slippery and doesn’t offer any traction when a dog jumps on and off
- Ten per cent of dogs are more than happy to tear it apart
- The material is noisy which puts some dogs off
- KONG Chew Resistant Pillow Bed is Heavy Duty meant for large dogs! Size: 40"x30"x6"
- Has a removable cover to allow you to machine wash the entire bed. Color: Beige.
- Durable, yet comfy, your canine will fall into a deep and blissful slumber on the KONG Dog Bed.
Kong has a deserved reputation for producing tough dog toys. But does their chew resistant pillow bed live up to the Kong name?
This heavy-duty bed is chew resistant not chew proof. However, Kong has made design choices that make this bed durable for light to medium chewers.
The cover is made from one hundred percent polyester and is removable for easy cleaning. The zipper is underneath the bed hiding it from view, and there is a grab handle for easy transportation.
Although it probably won’t stand up to the toughest chewers, it is a good option for a large dog as the size is generous.
- Great size for large dogs
- Removeable and washable cover
- Strong polyester fabric
- Slip-proof bottom
- The grab handle proves too tempting for some dogs
- The piping is attractive to chewers
- Initial odour is very unpleasant
- Available in 3 sizes; medium (36" x 27"), large (42" x 30") and extra- large (48" x 36")
- These beds are chew proof and waterproof; They are so tough we guarantee the bed and will replace the cover one time with proof of purchase
- Available in Atlantic Night, Belgian Chocolate and Champagne colors
HuggleHounds make durable products for tough chewers and this bed is no exception. Made with the same material as their toys, the Tuffut Luxx bed has a four-layer construction and is said to be over twice as strong as other materials.
Not only is the material tear and abrasion resistant but it’s also stronger in tensile strength. Made with a quilted rip-stop nylon cover that is removable for easy cleaning, this is a comfortable yet durable option.
Available in three sizes and three colours, HuggleHounds are so confident that their beds will withstand your dogs gnawing that they offer a one-time cover replacement with proof of purchase.
- Choice of colours and sizes
- Firm but comfortable
- Easy to wash
- Tough material
- One-time replacement cover
- Not chew proof
- The quilt stiching gets snagged easily
Although the goDog Bed Bubble Bolster is designed for use in a crate, it can be used as a low-key bed.
With chew-guard technology, the goDog bed is guaranteed to last longer than comparable beds. In fact, goDogs are so confident in their design that they offer a one-time replacement that’s valid for thirty days after purchase.
Made of soft plush material with a robust non-slip backing this bed is available in six sizes suitable for most dogs.
- Reinforced seems
- Chew-guard technology
- Machine washable
- Size and colour options
- Not chew proof
- Plush fabric moults
- Only an inch thick
- Chew Proof Rating: 3/5. High Bolster Walls Allow Dogs To Feel Warm, Safe, And Secure In Their Own Private Den
- The Number Of Raised Edges And Corners On This Bed Gives Chewing Dogs Too Many Places To Latch
- Proprietary 1680 Denier Rip stop Ballistic Nylon Cover Resists Light Chewing
It can be especially difficult to get a bed that is tough but provides a den-like sleeping environment. So, we’ve included a second option from K9 Ballistics, that offers durability as well as being cosy for dogs that like to curl up when they sleep.
Made from a robust propriety blend of 1680 Denier rip stop ballistic Nylon the bed resists tearing and scratching. The high bolster walls keep dogs cosy, and there’s a removable and washing bottom pad for easy cleaning.
- Extra tough material
- Easy to clean
- No zippers or velcro
- Covered by a ninety-day chew proof guarantee
- The raised sides are tempting to commited chewers
- The inner measurement is essential to get right
- Only the black material is ripstop inside and out
- Good for LIGHT to MODERATE chewers. Highest-spec dog bed; cover is made of super durable 1800D denier ripstop ballistic material.
- 120-Day Guarantee: If your dog manages to damage the bed within 120 days of purchase, we'll send you a brand new replacement free of charge! Good for one replacement only, see description for details.
- Great for both indoors and outdoors. Anti-dust, anti-mold, anti-dirt, anti-scratch, anti-odor, and machine washable for easy maintenance.
There’s a lot to like about this well-padded bed. With Ripstop fabric that’s double layered for extra durability this bed is also anti-scratch, anti-dirt, anti-dust, and anti-mould making it easy to keep clean.
The stitched padding means that it doesn’t clump and is comfortable. The high sides provide a cosy place for your dog to rest and it comes with a one hundred and twenty-day guarantee that offers a free replacement if your dog damages the bed.
- Well-padded and comfortable
- Double rip stop fabric
- Bed covers are removeable and washable
- For light to medium chewers only
- One size only
- Measure carefully
Chew Proof Dog beds
Our dogs spend a lot of time in their beds. Finding a durable and comfortable place for them to sleep is not always easy.
If your dog is a heavy chewer, our top pick is the Kuranda Dog Bed and for extra protection opt for the Aluminium frame. If your dog prefers a softer option and is a light to medium chewer the K9 Ballistics TUFF Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed is a good choice.
Chewing is an entirely natural behaviour of our dogs. While it can be frustrating and expensive to have bed after bed destroyed, it’s worth remembering that there could be an underlying issue that triggers your dog to chew.
Last update on 2019-01-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API