Whether you’re socialising a puppy or have an older dog that can’t keep pace on a walk. A dog backpack carrier could be just the thing.
Dog backpack carriers allow you to carry your dog either on your back or front while keeping your hands free.
They are ideal for small dogs and are especially useful when you would otherwise have to leave your dog at home.
Why Use a Dog Backpack Carrier?
It may seem strange to carry your dog around in a backpack, but they have many advantages. So, let’s look at some of the benefits of having somewhere safe to transport your dog;
The first sixteen weeks of a puppy’s life is a critical time-period where exposure to a wide variety of people, situations, noises and other animals is essential.
However, we need to be able to control these encounters to make sure they are positive. We also need to make sure that an unvaccinated puppy doesn’t come into contact with other dogs that are unfriendly, or unvaccinated themselves.
A dog backpack carrier enables you to take your puppy out and about and keep them safe. It also means that you can be out all day and your puppy has somewhere to sleep which is essential for a young dog.
While many older dogs are fit and healthy, some just aren’t able to keep up on long walks. If your dog is struggling, popping them into a dog backpack gives them the freedom to stay with you without wearing themselves out.
Not only that but using a dog backpack allows infirm or injured dogs to enjoy a daily outing without the strain of walking.
Planning on going on a long hike with a small dog, then why not give your dog a break. Of course, not all little dogs need help. But short legs and a low belly make covering rough terrain difficult.
Even if you carry your dog over the hard sections of a trail, a dog backpack carrier protects your dog from the most challenging ground.
If you’re the guardian of a nervous dog, you know if it can difficult to get your dog out and about without them getting stressed.
While not suitable for all dogs of a sensitive nature, dog backpacks do work for some. The elevated position can make some dogs feel more secure than when on the ground.
If you’re planning on taking a trip, there’s no reason to leave your dog behind anymore. Whether you’re travelling by foot, bicycle, subway or plane your dog can go too.
Tucking your dog into a carrier enables you to take your dog more places than ever before.
Nevertheless choosing the right backpack is vital for the comfort of both you and your dog. So, let’s look at some of the things you need to consider before investing in a carrier.
How to choose a Dog Backpack Carrier
The ideal dog backpack carrier offers a secure, well ventilated and comfortable place for your dog to be. Not only that, but the carrier should be comfortable to carry, lightweight and convenient to use.
Before making a choice, it’s useful to think about the following;
What are you using the dog backpack for?
Whether you’re planning on trekking, strolls around town or bicycle rides in the country there’s a dog backpack that’s right for you.
Basic carriers are perfect for daily use, but additional comfort is paramount for longer journeys, while safety considerations are essential when riding a bicycle.
Size and weight
Measure and weigh your dog. Sizing is vital to ensure your dog fits and is comfortable and safe while being carried.
Both measurements are needed. Some dogs may be light enough for a carrier but won’t fit in, think Dachshund who would need extra body room than some other dogs.
Measure body length from collar to tail base. The dog backpack carrier should allow enough room for your dog to fit in without compromising their posture. If in doubt, always go for the bigger size.
There are two basic carrying positions; front or back. However, the shape of the dog backpack carrier varies a lot.
Some designs allow your dog to lie down, while others support your dog in a ‘legs out’ fashion.
Once you’ve decided on the primary use of your dog backpack carrier, it’s a matter of choice.
As there are so many designs ranging from soft, hard, boxy and sporty options, we’ve rounded up a selection of the best available to cover all your needs.
- Pet backpack dimensions：13" L x 11" W x 17" H. Perfect pet backpack for dogs up to 15 pounds
- Carry pets with confidence:This dog carrier backpack comes with both waist and chest buckles which helps to reduce the burden and keeps the shoulder straps from slipping while pet moving
- Keep your pet comfortable:Four mesh windows for ventilation and visibility
There’s a lot to like about the Petsfit Comfort backpack. It’s made from strong Oxford cloth with a polyester lining. Its boxy shape provides plenty of room for your dog and the four mesh panels offer good visibility and ventilation.
Ideal for dogs weighing up to fifteen pounds it measures eleven by fifteen by seventeen inches. It has two zipped entrances, one in the top and one in the front.
For your dog’s added comfort, it comes with a soft fleece mat that is removable for easy cleaning.
The backpack is well padded. As well as thick shoulder straps it has an adjustable waist and chest strap making it easier to carry.
There’s a comfort grip handle on top, plastic feet to keep it off the ground and an internal clip for your dog’s safety. What’s more, it folds flat for easy transport.
- Easy in and out design. Two side zippers on the long sides of the carrier and velcro at the dog's neck
- Added mesh panels allow maximum accessibility and ventilation for your pet
- 1.5" wide adjustable straps with comfort pads, the straps will never cut into your back/shoulders any more
The Nicrew legs out backpack allows you to carry your dog on your front or back. Available in four sizes and three colours. It’s simple to use and provides good ventilation via the mesh front.
With padded and adjustable straps to keep you comfortable. The Nicrew backpack also provides plenty of leg and tail room for your dog.
Two side zips on the long side of the backpack make it easy to take your dog in and out. Velcro at the dog’s neck keeps it safe.
If you’re looking for versatility then the Pet Gear I-GO2 Sport Roller Backpack is ideal. Five products in one, it’s a back-facing backpack, tote, carrier, car seat and roller bag.
Sturdily constructed, the Pet Gear I-GO2 offers two accessory pockets, two internal tethers for your dog’s safety, wheels and a telescopic handle that stores out of the way when not in use.
Spacious and well ventilated the sides of the backpack can be extended to add three additional inches of space.
Used as a car seat, it attaches securely by a using strap over the headrest as well as loops to thread the seatbelt through.
The Pet Gear I-GO2 comes with a removeable, washable pad, well-padded straps and a carry handle. If that’s not enough, it comes in five size options and seven colours.
- Versatile 5 in 1 design
- Well ventilated
- Storage pockets for keys and poop bags
- Removeable base for easy cleaning
- Mesh isn’t very robust
- Bulky when used as a backpack
- Wheels dig in when used as a backpack
- No chest or waist strap to keep it secure
- Your dog's height when seated and weight are most important measurements when it comes to choosing the best size carrier. Measure your dog's height when seated (from the paws to the base of their...
- Multiple sizes – ideal for carrying small (up to 10 lbs.) to select medium (up to 20 lbs.) sized dogs. Small 12" High when sitting, 7" Wide. Medium 15" High when sitting, 10" Wide
- Lightweight, mesh siding helps keep your dog cool,Water resistant nylon fabric for added durability
Perfect for small to medium dogs the front-facing PoochPouch can be actually be worn on the front or back. Designed to stay cool with mesh siding and lightweight water-resistant material it’s perfect for warm weather.
The PoochPouch comes with a large front pouch and a small side pocket for all the essentials. What’s more, there’s an internal safety clip that attached to your dog’s collar to prevent them jumping out.
- Deep front pockets for all the neccessities
- Good construction
- Internal leash clip for extra security
- Waist strap keeps it secure when carried
- Unstable when the dog stand or sits
- Front needs more support
- Sizing comes up small so measure carefully
- Shoulder straps are set wide apart making it awkward for people with small frames to carry
- Extra padding needed to make it comfortable for your dog
- Size: 17″L x 12″H x 10"D. Weight: 3 lbs. Safe for pets up to 20 lbs
- Can be used as a backpack or a carrier. Made of heavy-duty nylon canvas.
- Zipper entry on one side. Zipper halfway down the opposite side.
If you’re a frequent flyer then this bag is just the ticket. Compliant with in-cabin airline regulations, this backpack carrier allows your dog to travel with you in comfort.
With ventilation provided by four mesh panels complete with privacy covers and a washable removable bottom insert. The Premium Pet carrier is spacious and capable of carrying up to fourteen pounds.
Not only does it come with a convenient rear pocket to store all the essentials but it’s also convertible to over the shoulder or hand-held carrier.
- Tapered shape makes it comfortable and less bulky to carry
- Robust and well-made
- Idela size for airline travel
- Shoulder straps are wide so not comfortable for someone with a narrow frame
- No top entry point making it more difficult to get dogs in and out of the bag
- Not much head room for your dog
- Soft sides, not much protection
- K9 BACKPACK FOR MEDUM DOGS: The K9 SPORT SACK AIR LARGE is designed for dog breeds that weights 30 lbs and less. The K9 AIR - Large will fit dogs with the length of 30-23 inches and have a girth up to...
- RUFF LIFE: Does your dog suffer from anxiety, depression, or have a physical disability? Or maybe just older or doesn’t have the stamina for your next big adventure. Problem solved!
- ROUND TALL FAT SMALL: We get it! Dogs come in all shapes and sizes, and we got your dog covered! Available in 3 sizes to fit your yorkie or larger sizes for your chubby frenchie or corgi. Scroll down...
The K9 Sport Sack Air is a little different in that your dog sits piggyback style against your back. It comes with ventilated sides, safety ring to attach your dog securely and dual side pockets for doggy essentials.
Wide shoulder straps combined with a chest strap make it comfortable to carry and well balanced. Not only that but there’s a choice of colour and size making is suitable for dogs of all shapes and sizes.
- Four sizes and five colours
- Easy to carry
- Two pockets for essentials
- Gets very hot
- Not much padding or support for your dog
- No waist strap
- Tricky to get your dog in to the pack
- PLEASE NOTE SIZE : Dimensions in inches: Size M (top width 7.8 bottom width 12.0 height 13.3 neck hole size 7.1-18.8 weight within 6.6 lbs ) , Size L (top width 8.0 bottom width 14.2 height 15.7 neck...
- Wonderful backpack for you to carry your pet dog cat go out and travel.
- The front hole is adjustable with drawstring according to your pets' size.
This ‘head out’ version backpack from CozyCabin offers a well-ventilated and secure way to travel with your dog.
The drawstring closure ensures that only your dog’s head can get out and there’s a safety clip to attach your dog’s collar for extra security.
There’s a large pocket for all the essentials. A removable waterproof base for easy cleaning and it comes in three sizes and four colours. An excellent pack for the dog around town.
- Can be worn front or back
- Good weight distribution
- Very hard base – uncomfortable for your dog
- Base not very supportive
- Sraps need more padding
- Design is problematic for short legged dogs
- Gets hot
Dog backpack carriers highlights
Dog backpack carriers make travelling with your dog safe and straightforward. Whether you’re taking a shopping trip, a long hike or going by plane, there’s a perfect backpack out there for you and your dog.
For a versatile, functional choice we like the Prefer Pets – Premium Pet Carrier Backpack. But if your hiking or cycling there’s a lot to like about K9 Sport Sack AIR which is a much lighter option.
Whatever pack you choose, it should above all be safe for your dog and comfortable for you both.
Last update on 2020-06-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API