If you’ve never come across dog socks with grip before. You may be wondering what they are and why your dog would need them.
Simply put dog socks are very much like our own socks. They come in various materials, styles and sizes and even waterproof versions that your dog can wear outside. If you want a quick look at our favorite, have a look at No products found. but for more options read on.
While it’s still not that common to see dog’s in socks, some sporting breeds, like Huskies have been taking advantage of their protection for years.
So how can our own dog’s benefit from doggy footwear?
What dogs need to wear dog socks?
In fact, it’s not just sporting breeds that can gain an advantage from wearing socks. As our dogs get older and begin to suffer from age-related conditions, it becomes even more critical to manage their symptoms.
Likewise, if we have a dog that already has mobility issues, injuries or lacks confidence on certain surfaces, slick kitchen tiles, for example, dog socks with grip can provide much-needed aid.
In this article, we’re going to review the following dog socks with grip:
- EXPAWLORER Dog Socks Traction Control Anti-Slip for Hardwood Floor Indoor Wear, Paw Protection Grey
- LONSUNEER Dog Boots Breathable and Protect Paws Soft Nonslip Soles Blue Color Size Large - Inner Sole Width 2.83 Inch
- Grippers Non Slip Dog Socks | Traction Control for Indoor Wear | Dog Paw Protection | Non Skid Dog Booties Grip (L)
- Dog Socks Anti Slip with Straps Traction Control Waterproof Paw Protector, L by KOOLTAIL
- No products found.
Seniors and dog socks
For anyone sharing their life with an elderly dog, you’ll know the struggle. As our senior dogs become less mobile and arthritic, they struggle to get their back legs underneath their body when they stand up.
This situation is much worse if we have slick or hardwood floors at home. Often causing numerous failed attempts because of lack of traction. Non-slip socks can give both senior and tri-pawed dogs much-needed grip enabling them to navigate shiny floors more easily.
Sore paws and dog socks
Not only do dog socks with grip help with our dog’s mobility though. But they can also help injured dogs recover more quickly.
If your dog has ever had a paw injury, you’ll know they take a long time to get better. Not only do dogs want to lick the wound contaminating it with bacteria. But any time they go outside and relieve themselves, there is a risk that the injury will get re-infected.
While the dreaded cone of shame is the go-to tool for preventing a dog from reaching their injury, socks offer an alternative that many dogs prefer.
Scratch prevention and dog socks
Another benefit of dog socks with grip is that they protect hardwood floors from your dog’s nails. No matter how short your dog’s nails are, there is always a risk that the rough surface of the nail will damage delicate floors.
What’s more, the additional grip that socks provide will prevent your dog from sliding as they run through the house. Not only is this useful for preventing long scratch marks but it also goes a long way to avoid accidental breakages as your dog tries to get purchase and skids across on the floor.
What to consider when buying dog socks
It may seem like a simple task to get socks for your dog, but there are a couple of things to consider before you invest.
The first is whether you want the socks for indoor or outdoor use or both. Indoor socks are often cotton or a cotton-mix. And although they have grips of some sort on the bottom, they won’t be waterproof.
If your dog walks on damp ground with an indoor sock, the material will soak up water like a sponge. Not only will this be uncomfortable for your dog, but long term it can affect the health of your dog’s feet.
In contrast, outdoor socks usually have some sort of waterproofing or rubber base. While this makes them ideal on the damp ground, it can make your dog’s feet incredibly hot. Again, this is ok short-term, but constantly hot feet without any airflow is a perfect home for unwanted bacteria.
The second and equally important thing to consider is the fit. Unlike our own feet that attach to our legs at right angles with a heel to help keep the sock in place. Our dog’s feet are much more streamlined which makes keeping socks on a challenge.
Dog socks need to be snug enough to stay put without being tight. Each manufacturer has their own sizing guide, so measure carefully to avoid badly fitting socks.
- Size Information: XS - Paw Width 1.77" / Length 4.3", S - Paw Width 2.16" / Length 5.5", M - Paw Width 2.75" / Length 6.3", L - Paw Width 3.15" / Length - 7.1", XL - Paw Width 3.54" / Length 7.9".
- Measure Instruction: Please refer to the size chart and measure your pet's paw width and length carefully as per our video guidance for best fit. They should be tight enough to stay up, but loose...
- Paws Protection: Our socks can keep your pet's paws warm and protect the claws from frostbite in cold winter, and meanwhile the claws can be protected from burnt ground in hot summer as well.
Available in five sizes and three colors, these socks have a generous anti-slip silicone gel sole. They are a good length. Covering at least a third of your dog’s leg which goes a long way in helping to keep them on. There’s a substantial cuff too which also keeps the socks in place.
These socks are made for indoor use only. They are soft and comfortable and come with tape if you need the extra support.
- Good length
- Good size anti-slip gel pad to give superior traction
- Indoor use only so anytime your dog needs to go out you have to remove the socks
- The socks have a tendency to twist which means your dog can’t make use of the anti-slip gel
- Upper is made of breathable mesh fabric, firmly hemmed by soft durable cloth around, with flexible cuffs at the top, capable to keep debris out, and make paws comfortable, cool and dry, suiatble for...
- Nonslip and soft soles, well protect dogs' paws on summer hot pavement, grass, tile, deck, boat, winter salt, ice, indoor hardwood floors and other surfaces, also provide traction for dogs' walking...
- Easy and quick to put on, but difficult to slip off if they fit. Closure control by a wide, elastic and adjustable strap
Although these are more of a boot than a sock, they are soft enough to wear every day. The top is breathable mesh surrounded by soft cloth and with a non-slip sole. There’s a generous, flexible cuff and an easy to tighten Velcro strap to keep the boots in place.
Available in five sizes and two colors and suitable for both inside and outside (good weather only).
- The mesh fabric is great at allowing a dog’s paws to breathe and stay fresh
- These socks can be used both inside and outside. Which means you don’t have to take them off every time your dog wants to go outside
- The Velcro provides an easy way to keep the socks secure
- Although the sole is waterproof, the boots won’t stand up to damp grass or heavy rain
- The boots are very short which doesn’t leave a lot of room to strap them on your dog’s legs
- KEEP YOUR SENIOR DOG SAFE ON HARDWOOD OR TILE - Give your dog the traction they need to navigate indoor flooring safely
- GRIP AROUND THE ENTIRE PAW – Give your dog maximum stability with a non-slip rubber coating that covers the entire paw
- WORKS FOR SMALL & BIG DOGS - Whether you’ve got a small, medium, or large dog, we have the perfect dog socks for your furry friend!
These dog socks offer the added advantage of grip all around the paw. Which means that even if the socks twist on your dog’s foot, they won’t lose traction.
Available in seven sizes they are suitable for the smallest to the largest of dog’s paws. And come with Velcro straps to keep the socks in place. The grippy material provides a waterproof layer. So your dog can come and go as they please without worrying the socks will get ruined.
- Good quality and well-made
- The grippy material covers the whole of the paw which means even if the sock twists your dog still has a grip
- Waterproof layer provided by the silicone means you don’t have to remove the socks when your dog wants to go outside
- Although the all-around grip is a good idea, it’s not a breathable material which means that dog’s feet get extremely hot and sweaty.
- The socks are short which makes it much easier for them to slip off
- L-Paw Width: 2.2", Length: 5.9 ", Grip width: 1.8", Detachable Straps Length: 6.7"
- NONSKID-With thin rubber around the bottom, improves your dog's traction on slippery surfaces (tile/hardwood floor)
- WATERPROOF-The tread material makes the socks waterproof, keep dog’s feet dry even if on a wet ground
These socks from Kooltail have a large anti-slip area that’s also waterproof. Not only does this mean that your dog will still have traction if the socks twist. But it also means you don’t have to take the socks off when your dog wants to go outside.
We really like the removable Velcro strap and that it secures to the sock via a popper. It means that the sock can’t slip beneath the Velcro as it sometimes does when the straps are separate to the sock.
Available in five sizes and in a bat or paw design. These socks are a good length which helps keep them up.
- The paw section is completely covered by non-slip material which provides superior traction even if the sock twists
- The velcro strap attached by a popper is an excellent idea and goes a long way in keeping the socks stay put
- The tread is waterproof which means your dog can come and go as they please
- The completely covered paw section makes a dog’s paws hot creating the perfect environment for bacteria
- The button that holds the Velcro in place gets ripped very quickly
- Dog’s nails easily go through the rubber coating on the paw of the sock
No products found.
If your dog doesn’t tolerate socks, these PadGrips are a good alternative. Rather than covering all of your dog’s paw, they just protect the pads.
These pad protectors work a little like band-aids in that you stick them on your dog’s paws. They last anywhere between one to six weeks. Depending on factors like humidity, wet weather, type of surface your dog walks on, etc.
They are easy to put on, and they can be used whole or cut into individual pads to make it more comfortable for your dog.
There’s a good variety in sizes – six in total to ensure a good fit.
- Most dogs tolerate the pads well so are a good option if your dog won’t wear socks
- Allows your dog’s paws to breathe which is great for keeping their feet healthy
- Good grip and perfect for indoor use
- The pads do come off quickly, especially if you are using these for outside activities too
- They are a bit fiddly to put on. Especially if you cut the pads shapes individually – that’s five pieces per paw!
- Limited protection and won’t prevent your dog from licking its paws.
Dog socks with grips conclusion
Dog socks with grips can provide much-needed support for elderly dogs trying to cope with slick floors.
While there are lots of options on the market, we really like No products found. because as they only cover the pads, they allow your dog’s paws to breathe. As a dog’s feet are a breeding ground for bacteria keeping them as fresh and dry as possible is vital.
Although your dog can keep them on both inside and outside, they will drop off much sooner if your dog goes out regularly. But for indoor use, they are hard to beat.
Last update on 2020-10-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API